Student Essay Contest: 2009 Results
- First Place: (Same as Grand Prize) “The Charm of Topology – Dr. Joan Birman:Mathematics is very beautiful!” by Wai-Ting Lam, at St. Francis College Ore Creek, Brooklyn, New York.
- First Place: “Dr. Mahlet Tadesse: A Mathematician’s Quest from Ethiopia to the United States ,” by Christina Bax, National Cathedral School, Bethesda, Maryland.
- Honorable Mention: “Music + Math = Linda Kadis,” by Lena Sizikova, Mission San Jose High School, Fremont, California.
- Honorable Mention: “Dr. Laura Gunn – Family Misfit,” by Carmen Ng, Monte Vista High School, Danville, California.
- First Place: “Maria Droujkova: Beautiful Math is All About the People ,” by Angela Pham, Francis of Assisi School, North Tustin, California.
- Honorable Mention: “Falls in Love with Math and Science: Biography of Dr. Shaheen Rab ,” by Nur Kose, Kose Homeschooling, New Castle, Delaware.
Some essays have been modified for posting on the AWM website.